MDS Newsletter #12
It's Wednesday and we are here with the latest edition of the MDS newsletter series. We hope you are enjoying this newsletter and if you have any suggestions or improvements that you would like to see we'd be happy to hear from you.
Let's dive into this week's newsletter!
Coalesce: The analytics engineering conference -"Replays"
From December 6-10, the latest Coalesce conference by dbt Labs was trending in the data community. Many data influencers gave talks on different topics, and the data community loved it. For those of you who missed this awesome event, here are the replays from the conference.
Featured tools this week
Here are this week's featured companies from the Modern Data Stack.
- Transform data is a centralized 'metrics store' that empowers data analysts to deliver accurate, timely, confident, and fast insights. It enables metrics definitions in code with the supports of life-cycle management. It also provides solutions such as data analytics & visualization, data storage & computing, metrics stores from data sources, etc.
- Rudderstack is the CDP for Developers. It is an open-source Customer Data Platform (CDP) that provides data pipelines that make it easy to collect data from every application, website, and SaaS platform, then activate it in your warehouse and business tools.
Good reads and resources
Keep pace with the latest developments in the modern data stack. Always be learning!
- The Guide to Data Versioning: In this article Paul Singman has discussed the what, why, and how of data versioning. The article also provides a deep understanding of different approaches to implementing data versioning, its best practices, and how data versioning is useful in different contexts by walking through some examples.
- The Five Shades of Observability: Business, Operations, Pipelines, Models, and Data Quality: It’s tempting to dismiss observability as another overused buzzword but as enterprises expand their businesses, digitize their operations, and embrace analytics, they create a world of complexity. Here, Observability seeks to help. Read this article by Kevin Petrie where he discusses Data Observability and the five sub-disciplines of Observability - business, operations, data pipeline, model, and data quality.
- Is the Data Dashboard Dead? – Ajay Khanna: In this episode, Paul Muller and Ajay discuss the challenges of the outdated analytics dashboard and how businesses can advance this layer of their tech stack to better consume, analyze, and action data.
- What I Learned From The Open-Source Data Stack Conference 2021: In this article, James shares his learnings from Open Source Data Stack Conference on building the modern stack with open-source data solutions.
Latest funding news
The latest happenings in the VC world for data stack companies.
Secoda raised $2.2M in seed round of funding!
Secoda is a collaborative workspace for data teams that makes it easy to share metadata, queries, charts, and documentation with any employee.
This round of funding was led by Craft Ventures with participation from Golden Ventures, Global Founders, Soma Capital, Union Capital, Garage Capital and Y combinator. Here is the announcement.
Upcoming data stack events & webinars
Upcoming conferences, summits, and webinars for you. Start networking!
- Evanta is hosting Toronto CDO Virtual Executive Summit on 16th Dec 2021.
The event aims to bring C-level executives together to tackle top business challenges through peer-driven content and discussions. Click here to register.
- Riskified Technology and Women in Cloud are hosting an in-person event on Modern Data Platform at Scale on 21st Dec 2021.
At this event, the speakers will talk about how they built Data Team built a Data Lake from scratch and how they monitor large-scale distributed systems which provide service to thousands of customers. Click to register .
- Census is hiring a 'Data Community Advocate'
Location: San Francisco
Tags: SQL, Slack, Zoom,dbt
- Affirm is hiring a 'Senior Data Engineer'
Location: Remote US
Tags: Python, SQL, Spark, LookML
- Twitch is hiring a ' Data scientists'
Location: San Francisco, CA, Los Angeles,
CA, Irvine, CA, or Seattle, WA.
Tags: SQL, Tableau, R, Python
- Salesforce is hiring a 'Data Engineer'
Location: California - San Francisco, Texas - Dallas,
Texas - Austin, California - Remote, Georgia - Atlanta,
Indiana - Indianapolis, Illinois - Chicago
Tags: SQL, Python, Airflow, AWS, Spark,
- Y combinator is hiring a 'Data Engineer'
Location: San Francisco / Remote
Tags: ETL design, statistical modelling, data visualization
Trending on Twitter
What's trending on Twitter in the Data Stack world!
Just for fun
If you've made it this far, you deserve a meme😄
If you enjoyed this newsletter, please forward it to your friends who dig the 'Modern Data Stack' movement! (or you can just send them this link).
Have suggestions? Contact us here!