Last week, we wrapped up Season 1 of the Modern Data Show and thanks to you guys for giving us all the love and support. It was super fun! We have 5000+ ( and counting) listens across platforms in just 3 months! We couldn't be happier 😃
Featured tools of the week
- Houseware is a revenue analytics workbench that enables anyone to build internal data apps on the Snowflake Data Cloud. It connects to more than 150 data sources, and abstracts schemas, columns, and rows into higher-level metrics, empowering the creation of visualizations, rules-based actionable signals, and much more without coding.
- ksqlDB is a database purpose-built for stream processing applications on top of Apache Kafka®. ksqlDB allows you to query, read, write, and process data in Apache Kafka® in real-time and at scale using a lightweight SQL syntax.
Featured data stack of the week
MindFi's mission is to transform the narrative around mental health in Asia. With our app, we empower people to proactively manage all aspects of their well-being: physical, emotional, mental, spiritual, and social. Rather than maintaining a glorified therapist booking platform or another same-old content library, MindFi is laser-focused on creating tools that are culturally relevant, accessible, and effective.
Good reads and resources
- 10 Things you need to know about data observability: The data space is undergoing the same challenges software engineering faced a decade ago. As data volumes continue to grow, so does the challenge of ensuring data quality. Many organizations are finding that they are struggling to keep up with the increasing number of data use cases and products that require high-quality data. In order to ensure that their data is of the highest quality, businesses started investing in tools and resources, as well as putting in place processes and protocols for maintaining data quality. This is leading to the creation of the category of data observability.
In this article Benedetta Cittadin the growing trend of data observability and whether or not organisations should invest in it.
- DuckDB — What’s the Hype About?: This year DuckDB became one of the most talked about tools and with the recent round of funding the discussion has only intensified in the developer and data engineering community. DuckDB is an easy-to-use open source in-process OLAP database (that processes data in memory and doesn’t require a dedicated server/service) — described by many in simplified terms as the SQLite equivalent for analytical OLAP workloads. Oliver Molander writes about what’s the hype around DuckDB really about. He also talks about why the growing momentum and some of the important use cases of DuckDB.
Upcoming data events and summits
- Sifflet data is organising an event on Why is your Data Team unhappy? With Gordon Wong on Thursday, December 1st 2022 - 7:30 PM (IST).
- Airbyte is hosting move(data)- The Data Practitioner Conference from 7th and 8th December.
move(data) is celebrating the hard work and dedication of data engineers and practitioners worldwide. We're hosting speakers who have spent countless hours working on data integration. Learn best practices, share horror stories and discover tools and workflows that will improve the way you work.
Register for the event here.
Data startup funding news
- Bringing the entire data stack to one platform, Keboola raises $4.5M: Keboola, the data-platform-as-a-service startup, has closed a $4.5 million seed financing round led by Presto Ventures. Joining the round was Reflex Capital, the VC fund of Mall Group founder Ondřej Fryc, as well as a number of prominent angel investors, including Eduard Kučera, founder of Avast, and Tomáš Čupr, founder of Rohlik Group.
Up until the current round of funding, Keboola has been entirely self-funded, having been officially founded in 2017 after nearly a decade running in bootstrap mode. Keboola is on track to achieve an annual subscription revenue (or ARR) of more than $8 million in 2022.
- Mack Weldon is hiring 'Senior Analytics Engineer'
Location: NYC (hybrid)
Stack: Snowflake, dbt, Looker
- Coinlist is hiring a 'Senior Data Engineer'
Location: Remote / SF / NYC
Stack: DBT, Prefect, AWS
- ACLU is hiring a 'Director of Analytics Engineering'
Location: United States
Stack: Fivetran, Redshift, dbt
🔥 on Twitter
Just for fun 😀
What do you think about our weekly Newsletter?
If you have any suggestions, want us to feature an article, or list a data engineering job, hit us up! We would love to include it in our next edition😎
About Moderndatastack.xyz - We're building a platform to bring together people in the data community to learn everything about building and operating a Modern Data Stack. It's pretty cool - do check it out :)