MDS Newsletter #64
In this week's newsletter learn about leadership lessons and fresh perspectives on managing a modern data team. Keep an eye out for the latest start-up funding news, job opportunities, and must-attend data events. Don't miss out on the latest and greatest in the world of modern data!
Featured tools of the week
- Treasure Data: is the enterprise CDP that helps brands push customer experience boundaries, rather than be confined by them. Treasure Data can ingest data from anywhere and in any format. AI and ML are layered directly on top of the data which provides actionable insights that are most relevant to each individual customer.
Treasure Data has raised a total of $288.1M in funding over 9 rounds. Their latest funding was raised on Nov 3, 2021.
- Data Channel: this is a No-Code SaaS platform that allows you to create and manage data pipelines from any data source to a destination data warehouse of your choice. It also allows you to create and schedule data transformations to prepare your data for downstream analytics and BI / Data Visualization tools/platforms.
Featured data stack of the week
- Pluralsight: provides an online platform for programming courses. The products include assessments, analytics, role customization, professional services, and more.
Here are the data tools Pluralsight is using to empower your skills.
Good reads and resources
- How I migrated to Clickhouse and speedup my backend 7x and decrease cost by 6x, Part 1: The article describes the process of migrating from Azure CosmosDB to ClickHouse to improve the speed and decrease the cost of azureprice.net, a website that provides information on virtual machines available on Azure. The migration resulted in a 7x increase in speed, a 6x decrease in cost, and a 44x decrease in storage without any changes to the schema. The article emphasizes the importance of choosing the right technology for the right workload and considering future needs when evaluating technology.
- Erica Louie, Head of Data at dbt: Leadership lessons and fresh perspectives on managing a modern data team: The article discusses how young data leaders can build respect and forge their own path in a new data environment. It features insights from Erica Louie, the Head of Data at dbt Labs, who is in her twenties and leads the internal data team without a formal degree in data. Louie discusses the importance of trust in oneself and being transparent about not knowing everything, as well as the value of developing a personal approach to leadership. She also emphasizes the importance of creating a collaborative and inclusive environment, and of continuously learning and growing.
By Erica Louie
Upcoming data events, webinars, and summits :
- Join the Masterclass hosted by Atlan on Monday, 19 December at 9:00 am to learn how Contentsquare uses collaboration, data quality, and data cataloging to enable effective data governance.
The masterclass would cover the topics on how to prioritize data governance initiatives in a rapidly growing company. It will explore how following a data product mindset can enable data discovery across a variety of personas. Additionally, It will provide best practices for incorporating upstream data sensitivity classifications, data quality checks, and automated alerts for downstream data owners and consumers.
Data startup funding news of the week
- Dataiku announces $200 Million Investment Led by Wellington Management: Dataiku, a platform for "Everyday AI," announced that it has raised $200 million in Series F funding in a round led by new investor Wellington Management. The investment values Dataiku at $3.7 billion and brings the company's total primary funding to approximately $600 million.
- Ebury is hiring an 'Analytics Engineer'
Location: Spain, UK
Stack: dbt, Airflow, Looker
- Mammoth Growth is hiring a 'Senior Analytics Engineer '
Stack: Redshift, Snowflake, dbt
- Coinlist is hiring a 'Senior Data Engineer'
Location: Remote / SF / NYC
Stack: DBT, Prefect, AWS
🔥 on Twitter
Just for fun 😄
Subscribe to our Newsletter, Follow us on Twitter and LinkedIn, and never miss data updates again.
What do you think about our weekly Newsletter?
Love it | It's great | Good | Okay-ish | Meh
If you have any suggestions, want us to feature an article, or list a data engineering job, hit us up! We would love to include it in our next edition😎
About Moderndatastack.xyz - We're building a platform to bring together people in the data community to learn everything about building and operating a Modern Data Stack. It's pretty cool - do check it out :)