Synthetic data meets generative AI in this edition - scroll down to the Goodreads section to learn how it transforms privacy, bias, and costs. Plus, master Excel data cleaning in a step-by-step guide. This week we are ready to get you to dive into the generative AI's boundless creativity with an event starting next week. Keep on reading to know more!
Featured tools of the week
- Geckoboard: Geckoboard is a cloud-based tool that enables businesses to monitor and analyze KPIs in real-time. It offers a customizable dashboard, integrates with over 100 data sources, and has built-in widgets and templates. This simple yet powerful tool is becoming popular among businesses of all sizes looking to improve their decision-making processes.
Geckoboard has raised a total of $1.8M in funding over 2 rounds. Their latest funding was raised on Sep 28, 2012, from a Seed round.
- Narrator: Narrator is a comprehensive platform designed to assist data engineers in managing maintenance and data requests efficiently. Utilizing the innovative Activity Schema™, it enables self-service for most ad-hoc questions, reducing the need for frequent data engineering interventions.
Narrator has raised a total of $13.6M in funding over 4 rounds. Their latest funding was raised on Sep 17, 2020 from a Series A round.
Featured stack of the week
- CircleUp: CircleUp is dedicated to empowering entrepreneurs by providing funding and support. With a focus on the private company landscape, they have identified successful brands and employ the Helio business intelligence platform, which harnesses data and machine learning to enhance decision-making speed and objectivity. CircleUp's mission is to bridge the gap between entrepreneurs and the resources they need to thrive, offering unique applications of technology to achieve their goals.
Here are the data tools of CircleUp:
Good reads and resources
- Synthetic Data and the Influence of Generative AI: In a world where privacy, bias, and cost concerns loom large, synthetic data, crafted by the hand of generative AI, emerges as a transformative force. Christophe Atten delves into the world of synthetic data and its symbiotic relationship with generative AI. Synthetic data offers privacy, bias mitigation, and cost savings, contrasting with real data. Christophe explores how techniques like GANs and VAEs breathe life into synthetic data, rendering it effective for training models.
- Mastering Data Cleaning Using Excel: A Step-by-Step Guide with Examples: Unlock the power of polished data in Excel with this comprehensive guide by Sanderson Labousse from banishing duplicates to mastering advanced functions. Sanderson starts by defining what data cleaning is and why it is important. Then he walks readers through several examples, such as removing duplicates, splitting cells, merging data, and formatting numbers. Each example has detailed instructions and screenshots to make it easy for readers to follow along. He also highlights some of the commonly used Excel formulas and functions which are helpful in data cleaning such as VLOOKUP, CONCATENATE, TRIM, etc.
Upcoming data events, summits and webinars
- Join the Virtual Live Event by Starburst:
📅 On September 20th
⏰ At 11 a.m. ET to delve into the world of data architecture. Discover the insights from GigaOm's analysis comparing data warehouse and data lakehouse solutions, featuring a cloud data warehouse based on Snowflake architecture and a cloud data lakehouse with Starburst architecture. Explore performance differences, migration efforts, cost considerations, and the most economical path for a data lakehouse transition. Don't miss this opportunity to gain a competitive edge in making data-driven decisions efficiently and cost-effectively. Register here.
- Step into the future of innovation at Possible London's event by teradata.
📅 From September 11th to 13th, 2023
Join the event at the digital Hilton Metropole as it prepares to delve into the limitless possibilities brought forth by generative AI and seamlessly synchronized data. Register here to embark on a journey that promises to ignite your next business breakthrough.
- Good Data Studio is hiring Data Engineer
Location: Remote (US based)
Stack: SQL, Airbyte, Airflow, Prefect, Dagster, BigQuery, Snowflake
- Eleanor Health is hiring Senior Data Engineer
Location: Remote (US based)
Stack: Python, dbt, BigQuery
- HomeBuddy is hiring Senior Data Analyst
Location: Eastern Europe (remote)
Stack: Snowflake, dbt, Preset
🔥 Trending on Twitter
Just for fun 😀
Are you always hungry for more information and updates about the ever-evolving world of data?
But wait, there's more! We want to hear from you - rate us here and let us know how we're doing.
We welcome any suggestions, articles you would like us to showcase, or data engineering job listings that you may have. Don't hesitate to get in touch with us and we would be delighted to incorporate your input into our next edition.
About Moderndatastack.xyz - We're building a platform to bring together people in the data community to learn everything about building and operating a Modern Data Stack. It's pretty cool - do check it out :)