Got a question related to 'Modern Data Stack', but were afraid to ask? Or faced a problem where you did not know where data is located, who owns it, and if it is reliable? We have all these answers for you in this week's newsletter.
Also, a lot of interesting webinars happening this week organised by Castor, LakeFS, and Snowflake don't forget to register yourself for the same on the links given below 😃
Featured tools of the week
- Osmos is a low-code external data platform that helps companies scale their data intake, reduce costs, and drive growth. Osmos takes the pain out of cleaning messy external data and importing it into your operational systems. Empower your customers, vendors, and partners with a simple, no-code experience to upload data directly into systems without a single line of code.
Osmos has raised a total of $13M in funding over 1 round. This was a Series A round raised on Jul 1, 2021.
- Prefect monitors, coordinate and orchestrate dataflows between and across your applications. You can build pipelines, deploy them anywhere, and configure them remotely. Prefect's hybrid execution model keeps your code and data private while still taking full advantage of our managed workflow orchestration service.
Prefect has raised a total of $46M in funding over 3 rounds. Their latest funding was raised on Jun 10, 2021 from a Series B round.
Featured data stack of the week
- InfoPrice is a technology company, founded in 2013, focused on pricing and dynamic pricing for retail. More than 1 billion data is collected per year, transformed into information through solutions, and made available to clients and partners, providing market monitoring, opportunity mapping, automatic management, and price optimization with algorithms.
Here are the data tools they use, to process their data.
Good reads and resources
- Everything You Wanted to Know but were Afraid to Ask about Modern Data Stack (part I): 'Modern Data Stack' as a concept can be a little confusing at times, especially if you have just heard of the term. This is because it is still a relatively new concept and there has been a lot of discussions around it. Yingjun Wu being a data enthusiast, who has been building database systems since the big data era felt the same when he first came across the word 'Modern Data Stack'. After running a startup building core systems in the modern data stack domain, has shared his thoughts in this article. He has explained “modern data stack” in simple terms and discusses why modern data stack can really matter in companies.
- Data Catalogs Will Change Data Culture Within Your Company: If you work in data one of the most common problem that you might have faced is not knowing where the data that you need is located and who owns it. Even if you manage to get the data, another common problem is that this data is messy and not reliable. But there is a solution to this problem -Data Catalogs. In this article Madison Schott explains in detail what data catalogs are and how they can be used to not just solve the above-mentioned problems but also brings a culture of data transparency and ensure that you are using the highest quality of data in your oragnisation.
"They, help categorize data, assign it an owner, mark it with a quality score, and document important metadata. Without the components of a data catalog, organizations suffer through bottlenecks and poor-quality data making its way to production."- writes Madison.
- How to Create a Data Governance Team? 3 Essential Steps: To begin a successful data governance program in your organization, aligning the program with the business strategy and assembling a dedicated data governance team is necessary. Such a team and program require significant investment from your organization in terms of time and resources. However, the costs are always offset by the business value it delivers in the long run. It is also worth remembering that data governance is a continuous, ongoing process. If you want to be successful, your journey must be an evolutionary one. Start now, and build a governance team and culture in your organization to ensure the long-term viability and success of your business. In this article Tanmay Sarkar what data governance is, why is it important, its holistic approach, and how to create a data governance team.
Upcoming data summits and events
- Castor is oragnising a webinar on 'Data Discovery: Unlocked' on September 8th- at 8:30 PM (IST).
In this webinar, Rent the Runway’s Head of Business Intelligence, Lauren Haag, will join Castor’s Chief Product Officer, Arnaud de Turckheim, to discuss key strategies to help tackle data discovery as well as practical tips to build a more data-savvy organization.
Register for the event here.
- CEO Roundtable: Getting value from your data warehouse is going to be held on September 6, 2022.
Join the CEOs of Correlated, Supergrain, and Continual in a hosted session by Luke Ambrosetti from Snowflake to discuss use cases of warehouses.
Register for the event here.
- LakeFS is hosting a webinar on 'State of Data Engineering' on September 8th
Join the webinar along with the industry leaders to listen to the discussion around the current impact of Data Engineering and what the future holds.
Data startup funding news
- StarTree has raised an additional $47 million in Series B funding.
The funding round was led by Series A investor GGV Capital, with additional investment from new investor Sapphire Ventures and existing investors Bain Capital Ventures and CRV. StarTree has raised a total of $75 million to date. StarTree was founded by the original creators of Apache Pinot™.
- Rill Data is hiring a 'Data Engineering Lead, Customer Success'
Stack: Snowflake, BigQuery,dbt
- Paperless Post is hiring a 'data analyst'
Location : NYC (hybrid)
Stack : Fievtran, Airflow, dbt
- Flock Freight is hiring a 'Staff/Senior Data Engineer'
Location: US Only (San Diego (HQ), Chicago, or Full Remote)
Stack: Fivetran,dbt, Snowflake
🔥 Trending on Twitter
Just for fun 😃
What do you think about our weekly Newsletter?
If you have any suggestions, want us to feature an article, or list a data engineering job, hit us up! We would love to include it in our next edition😎
About Moderndatastack.xyz - We're building a platform to bring together people in the data community to learn everything about building and operating a Modern Data Stack. It's pretty cool - do check it out :)