We've got a special announcement for our 50th edition! 🤩
Featured tools of the week
- lakeFS transforms object storage buckets into data lake repositories that expose a Git-like interface. By design, it works with data of any size. The Git-like interface means that lakeFS users can use the same development workflows for code and data. Git workflows greatly improved software development practices - we designed lakeFS to bring the same benefits to the world data.
lakeFs has raised a total of $23M in funding over 1 round. This was a Series A round raised on Jul 28, 2021.
- Elementary data is an open-source data observability solution for data & analytics engineers. Monitor your dbt project and data in minutes, and be the first to know of data issues. Gain immediate visibility, detect data issues, send actionable alerts, and understand the impact and root cause.
Featured data stack of the week
- Pluralsight provides an online platform for programming courses. The products include assessments, analytics, role customization, professional services, and more. Here's Pluralisight's data stack.
If you want us to feature your data stack, publish it here.
Good reads and resources
- Craze or Trend? Decoding the Role of an Analytics Engineer: As the requirements of data in an organisation became complex, the number of requests that goes from data analysts to data engineers (and vice-versa) also increased. This led to the emergence of a new data role that sits between the role of data engineer and data analyst, called 'Analytics engineer' and it has been rising ever since. But is it just like any other buzzword or a fancy title to describe a regular data job? Is it the next role you need to fill in your data team? And, how to transition to his role? Marie Lafevre has discussed all these questions in this article. She has explained in detail how an analytics engineer covers parts of a data engineer’s job and parts of a data analyst’s job.
- Easy Steps to a Data-Driven Startup: Setting up a sophisticated data and analytics infrastructure is often not the very first thought in the mind of early-stage founders. But as the business scale, it became imperative to implement best data practices into place, but since it was an afterthought, building an effective analytics practice becomes far more challenging in the future. In this article, theDataStrategist has listed down identify seven actions early-stage start-up founders can take to pave a path toward a data-driven business.
- What Is Data Governance And Where Observability Fits In? Data is the most valuable asset for most businesses today. Or at least it has the potential to be. But to realize the full value, organizations must manage their data correctly. This management covers everything from how it’s collected to how it’s maintained and analyzed. And a big component of that is data governance. Data governance refers to the policies, processes, roles, and technology that businesses use to ensure data availability, usability, integrity, and security. This article, by Eric Jones of Databand, will explore everything you need to know about data governance, including: What is it? What’s the difference between data governance vs. data management? Why is it important?
If you have an interesting blog that you would like us to share with the data community, submit it here.
Any good resource on MDS for a non-tech person?👇
Upcoming data events and summits
- TDWI is organising a seminar on 'Data Governance, Quality, and Compliance' from SEPTEMBER 12–14, 2022, 9:00AM – 5:00PM CT.
Stepping up to the challenges of modern data governance isn’t easy. It demands an understanding of the business processes, BI and analytics processes, data management principles and practices, and the ability to continuously adjust to constantly changing data resources. This three-day series is designed specifically to provide the foundational knowledge you need.
- Sifflet Product Reveal: Full Data Stack Observability on Thursday, September 15th, 2022. Join the Sifflet team as they show you what we have been working on in the past few weeks!
- WorkStep is hiring a 'data analyst'
Data stack: Fivetran, dbt, BigQuery
- Drata is hiring an Analytics Engineer
Stack: Snowflake, Fivetran, Sigma
- Rill Data is hiring a 'Data Engineering Lead, Customer Success'
Stack: Snowflake, BigQuery,dbt
🔥 on Twitter
Just for fun 😃
What do you think about our weekly Newsletter?
If you have any suggestions, want us to feature an article, or list a data engineering job, hit us up! We would love to include it in our next edition😎
About Moderndatastack.xyz - We're building a platform to bring together people in the data community to learn everything about building and operating a Modern Data Stack. It's pretty cool - do check it out :)