MDS Newsletter #74
🎉 Greetings and welcome back to our weekly newsletter! We are glad to inform you, The modern data show Season 2 is live now featuring Kai Waehner, the global field CTO at Confluent, in our very first episode. Don't miss out on this exciting podcast - click the link below to watch now. And remember, we'll be bringing you fresh, exciting episodes every week, so be sure to stay tuned!
Modern Data Show S02 E01
- A deep dive into the world of Data Streaming with Kai Waehner, Global Field CTO at Confluent: In this episode of the Modern Data Show, host Aayush Jain is joined by Kai Waehner, the Global Field CTO at Confluent, to discuss all things about Apache Kafka, Confluent, and event streaming. Confluent is a complete event streaming platform and fully managed Kafka service used by tech giants, modern internet startups, and traditional enterprises to build mission-critical scalable systems. During the podcast, Kai discusses the benefits of using Confluent over deploying Kafka, the role of a global Field CTO, and the company's complete data streaming platform.
Featured tools of the week
- Striim: provides an enterprise-grade real-time data integration platform - including change data capture - that also offers stream processing & streaming analytics. Striim’s unified data integration and streaming platform connects clouds, data, and applications with unprecedented speed and simplicity driving data to decisions in real time.
Striim has raised a total of $108.5M in funding over 5 rounds. Their latest funding was raised on Mar 31, 2021, from a Series C round.
- Scuba: is the customer intelligence platform that unifies, activates, and empowers customer-obsessed teams to make fast data decisions. Scuba's no-code data query capability enables sub-second analytics, ingesting, processing, and analyzing data in real time.
Scuba Analytics has raised a total of $46.3M in funding over 4 rounds. Their latest funding was raised on Dec 17, 2017, from a Series C round
Featured stack of the week
- Aggua: is a data fabric platform that enables data and business teams to access their data, creating trust and giving practical data insights. Their automated data catalog gives you a bird's eye view of your data, along with column-level lineage across systems.
Here are the data tools of Aggua:
Good reads and resources
- Rethinking Stream Processing and Streaming Databases: The article is written by Yingjun Wu who talks about the use of stream processing systems for low-latency scenarios such as stock trading, fraud detection, and ad monetization. Stream processing can reduce latency from hours or days to minutes or seconds. However, challenges include performance, scalability, fault tolerance, consistency, and SQL support. Yingjun says that streaming databases are the future of stream processing as they combine the strengths of both stream processing and traditional databases. Cloud-based streaming databases like RisingWave, Materialize, DeltaStream, and TimePlus have emerged in recent years to provide users with streaming database services on the cloud.
- Realtime Streaming ETL using Apache Kafka, Kafka Connect, Debezium, and KsqlDB: This article is written by Dursun KOÇ who explains why data needs to be transferred from one database to another, how traditional batch processing approaches can be problematic, and how a real-time streaming ETL process can be built using Apache Kafka, Kafka Connect, Debezium, and KsqlDB. The article also provides a sample architecture using these technologies and provides the source code of a demo project on GitHub.
Upcoming data events, webinars, and summits
- Join the physical event "Modern Data Summit '23" on 2nd March at Huckletree Shoreditch, London UK on 2nd March from 4 pm to 9 pm GMT hosted by moderndatastack. xyz in partnership with Cocoa. Join us for learning, networking, and discovery as we explore the future of data together.
Register for the event here
- Join the “Big Data and AI World” on March 8th and 9th, 2023 from 9:00 AM GMT and be at the forefront of change with thousands of technologists, data specialists, and AI pioneers. World-class data experts from healthcare, media, financial services, and more come to share their knowledge and stories of success.
Register for the event here.
- Komoot is hiring Senior Analytics Engineer
Stack: Redshift, Airflow, dbt, Metabase
- Uptogether is hiring Data Engineer
Stack: SQL, Fivetran, dbt, Airflow, and Kafka
- Trainual is hiring Data Analyst
Location: US-based remote
Stack: dbt, Bigquery, Hightouch
🔥 Trending on Twitter
Just for fun 😀
Subscribe to our Newsletter, Follow us on Twitter and LinkedIn, and never miss data updates again.
What do you think about our weekly Newsletter?
Love it | It's great | Good | Okay-ish | Meh
If you have any suggestions, want us to feature an article, or list a data engineering job, hit us up! We would love to include it in our next edition😎
About Moderndatastack.xyz - We're building a platform to bring together people in the data community to learn everything about building and operating a Modern Data Stack. It's pretty cool - do check it out :)