In today's edition, learn how to track database changes in real-time, get the latest details on the upcoming MDSCon, and catch up on our latest episode of the Modern Data Show where we talk about the Data Mesh. And of course lots more!
Modern Data Show S02 E06
S02 E06 Breaking Down the Buzzword: What Data Mesh Really Means for Organizations with Colleen Tartow, Director of Engineering at Starburst data: Since the introduction of the Data Mesh concept, a lot of people are trying to wrap their heads around the term. In the latest episode of the Modern Data Show, Colleen Tartow - Director Of Engineering at Starburst Data provides a comprehensive explanation of what data mesh actually is, the socio-technical aspect of data mesh and the fundamental shift in the way data is produced and governed within an organization.
Featured tools of the week
- Kyvos insights: Kyvos is a cloud-native BI Acceleration Platform and Semantic Layer that enables technology executives and business leaders to make data-driven decisions without compromising on the scale of data and the performance of BI.
- InfyOn: InfyOn is an event streaming platform that allows architects, data engineers, and developers to build intelligent data pipelines for real-time services. InfinyOn Cloud is constructed with Rust, providing unparalleled speed, scale and security for real-time applications.
InfinyOn has raised a total of $6.6M in funding over 2 rounds. Their latest funding was raised on Oct 24, 2022 from a Seed round.
Featured data stack of the week
- Sub-Zero Group, Inc.: Sub-zero, Wolf, and Cove appliances offer powerful performance, design and dependability. It is an American brand of residential major kitchen appliances including refrigeration and wine preservation products built in the USA. The company also manufactures kitchen appliances under the Wolf brand name and dishwashers under the Cove brand name.
Here are the data tools of Sub-Zero Group, Inc:
Good reads and resources
- Change Data Capture with microservices: Author of this article Bijit Ghosh talks about the integration of Change Data Capture (CDC) with microservices architecture, which enables real-time tracking of changes made to data in a database, allowing microservices to respond to any modifications. Ghosh emphasizes that each microservice must have its own CDC mechanism integrated to capture relevant changes. He covers key architectural considerations, including capturing and transmitting data changes and maintaining data consistency. Finally, he explores how CDC can be utilized in DataOps and AI/ML use cases, such as data warehouse incremental refresh and real-time stream processing.
- How Shadow Data Teams Are Creating Massive Data Debt: Diogo Silva Santos is the author of this post who explores the challenges faced by data teams in the era of big data, diversified data sources, and increasing demands for quick insights, emphasizing the need for collaborative data teams with a deep understanding of business context to deliver impactful data products. He also presents three ways to set up a data practice, including centralized, shadow, and decentralized teams, and highlights how the latter is the first step towards data mesh adoption.
Upcoming data events, webinars and summits
- Join this virtual event "Data Reliability Engineering Conference 2023" on April 19TH, 2023, 11:30 AM - 4:00 PM ET for hands-on workshops, live Q&A, and presentations from standouts in the data space. DRE Con is the only conference to focus solely on data reliability engineering - the tools, processes, and people that make up the DRE ecosystem.
Register for the event here.
- The "Modern Data Stack Conference (MDSCon)" officially kicks off from April 4, 2023, in San Francisco. The two-day event will offer a unique blend of educational sessions presented by 40+ speakers who are seasoned data pros from some of the largest enterprises and well-known brands as well as hands-on technical training for those looking to learn a new skill.
Register for the event here
Data startup funding news
- Hex lands another $28M as the data collaboration platform continues to gain traction: Hex was founded in 2019 and has now raised more than $100 million dollars in just four years, per Crunchbase data. With the most recent round of funding. McCardel (Co-founder) says he should have five years of runway, setting his company up to ride out whatever economic uncertainty may be out there, while giving him the freedom to grow the platform as needed.
About Hex: It is a modern Data Workspace. It makes it easy to connect to data, analyze it in collaborative SQL and Python-powered notebooks, and share work as interactive data apps and stories
Founders: Barry McCardel, Caitlin Colgrove and Glen Takahashi.
- Viking Global is hiring Senior Data Engineer
Location: New York, NY
Stack: Snowflake, Airflow, dbt, Databricks, Tableau
- Peppy is hiring Head of Data
Location: UK (remote-first)
Stack: Bigquery, dbt, Python
- Viooh is hiring Senior Analytics Engineer
Location: London, UK
Stack: Snowflake, dbt
🔥 Trending on Twitter
Just for fun 😀
Are you always craving juicy updates on the ever-evolving world of data? We've got you covered! Just hit that "Follow" button on our LinkedIn and Twitter pages and feast on the latest and greatest data content.
But wait, there's more! We want to hear from you too - don't be shy, give us a rating here and let us know how we're serving up the data goods!
Please feel free to share any suggestions, articles you would like us to feature, or job listings related to data engineering. We would be glad to receive your input and incorporate it into our upcoming edition. So, don't hesitate to get in touch with us.
About Moderndatastack.xyz - We are constructing a platform that aims to unite individuals within the data community to educate them about constructing and managing a contemporary data infrastructure. It's an impressive platform, and we encourage you to explore it :)