We're thrilled to announce the launch of our Rocketship Awards, recognizing outstanding companies in the data world. Get ready for an exciting May as we will announce 30 winners across 30 categories. Follow us on Linkedin and Twitter to check out the daily winner announcements. Here's a roundup of the winners till now:
Modern Data Show S02 E10
S02E10: From On-Prem to the Cloud: Managing ClickHouse with DoubleCloud with Natalia Shuliak, COO at DoubleCloud: When working with open-source technologies, you benefit from the community's creations, but you also have to do a lot of admin and support work as the technologies tend to break, and support usually falls on yourself. This is where DoubleCloud's platform comes into the picture. In this latest episode of the Modern Data Show, Natalia Shuliak talks about how DoubleCloud saves you from administrative work and allows you to focus on data pipeline development and management while providing backup, security, and support.
Featured tools of the week
- FeatureForm: Featureform is a virtual feature store. It enables data scientists to define, manage, and serve their ML model's features. Featureform sits atop your existing infrastructure and orchestrates it to work like a traditional feature store. It ensures that transformations, features, labels, and training sets are defined in a standardized form, so they can easily be shared, re-used, and understood across the team.
- Rows.com: It is a Cloud-based collaborative workspace provider. Features include workspace-based pricing, workspace member, task integration, automation frequency, workspace spreadsheet management, spreadsheet storage management, and more. It combines a spreadsheet, with built-in integrations and a new sharing experience for teams to build and share their work in one place.
Featured stack of the week
- Gopuff: Gopuff is the go-to solution for immediate everyday needs. GoPuff delivers thousands of everyday essentials, such as cleaning and home products, over-the-counter medications, baby products, food, drinks and in some markets, alcohol and freshly prepared food, in just minutes from our local micro-fulfilment centres.
Here are the data tools of Gopuff:
Good reads and resources
- Deconstructing Modern to Build the Agile Data Stack: What are the differences between the Modern Data Stack and the Agile Data Stack and why is an agile data connector important in simplifying the data journey? This article by Jebra discusses the evolution of the Modern Data Stack to an Agile Data Stack that simplifies the data journey while maintaining quality and security. It compares the components of both stacks, including data extraction, transformation, and warehousing. The article emphasizes the importance of using an agile data connector that integrates with the source directly and pulls data from endpoints that meet immediate requirements. It also highlights the benefits of using cloud-based data warehouses and pre-built connector libraries that use ELT platforms to send data from various sources to warehouses.
- Crafting Your Data Team; data hiring strategy for Startups: According to Marc Stone, the success of a startup's data program depends on a data team leader with a T-shaped skillset, including a deep understanding of data analytics and infrastructure, and broad experience across various business units. The leader should be optimistic, adaptable, technically apt, have good business acumen, confidence and candour, and an owner mindset. In the hiring process, candidates should be asked to present a clear and concise plan for utilizing the latest tools and why they selected them. Common misconceptions to avoid include the belief that hiring for experience is the most important factor, and ignoring new paradigms that are changing the way data strategists build and plan for long-term success.
Upcoming data events, summits and webinars
- Looking to unleash the power of your data? Look no further than Data Summit 2023, taking place May 10-11 in Boston, MA, with pre-conference workshops on May 9. This event brings together a community of data professionals for three days of practical advice, inspiring thought leadership, and in-depth training. Hear from the world's leading companies on their innovative approaches to solving today's key challenges in data management.
Don't miss out on this career- and organization-changing opportunity. Register here.
- Don't miss out on the largest and most influential Data and AI event in the Nordics and beyond, the Data Innovation Summit! Join the most innovative minds, enterprise practitioners, technology providers, start-up innovators, and academics on May 11-12, 2023, in Stockholm, Sweden, or virtually via Agorify. With over 300 Nordic and international speakers, the event offers nine stages, seven workshop rooms, and 180+ TIP sessions, providing ample opportunities to learn, network, and collaborate.
Don't miss out on this worldwide movement of data, analytics, and AI practitioners collaborating, benchmarking, sharing, and innovating. Register now!
- Join this upcoming webinar by DoubleCloud on Real-Time Analytics for IoT & Robotics and achieve maximum efficiency while reducing maintenance costs! This webinar is perfect for product managers, directors, owners, data engineers, data analysts, and CTOs.
Register now for the webinar on Friday, 5th of May at 16:00 (CET) to take your operations to the next level with product data analytics!
- IntegraConnect is hiring Director of Data Platform Engineering
Stack: Snowflake, SQL, DBT
- Cadent is hiring Data Engineer
Location: Hybrid in Philadelphia, PA
Stack: Hive, Spark. SQL, AWS, Databricks
- Hygraph is hiring Senior Data Engineer
Location: Remote in EMEA
Stack: Fivetran, dbt, Bigquery
🔥 Trending on Twitter
Just for fun 😀
Are you always hungry for more information and updates about the ever-evolving world of data?
But wait, there's more! We want to hear from you - rate us here and let us know how we're doing.
We welcome any suggestions, articles you would like us to showcase, or data engineering job listings that you may have. Don't hesitate to get in touch with us and we would be delighted to incorporate your input into our next edition.
About Moderndatastack.xyz - We're building a platform to bring together people in the data community to learn everything about building and operating a Modern Data Stack. It's pretty cool - do check it out :)