Did you know that the world's total data storage capacity is approximately 44 zettabytes? To put that into perspective, if we were to store all of this data on DVDs, we would need a stack of discs that would stretch from the Earth to the Moon and back... twice! 🌝
So, that was just a little nugget of fun information we wanted to share. For a more in-depth look into the soaring heights of the data industry, check out the edition below and learn more about the latest trends in the field.
Featured tools of the week
- Supermetrics: It provides a data integration solution for businesses to streamline their marketing data from over 100 platforms. They offer a one-source-of-truth solution for businesses to take control of their marketing data and turn it into actionable insights. Supermetrics serves a diverse range of industries and businesses, providing data acceleration solutions to help them succeed as they grow.
Supermetrics has raised a total of €43.5M in funding over 2 rounds. Their latest funding was raised on Aug 24, 2020, from a Series B round.
- SnowcatCloud: It provides Customer Data Infrastructure for businesses to collect and integrate behavioural data, create customer knowledge graphs, and manage audiences. SnowcatCloud is trusted by companies worldwide and cross-industry to safely and reliably collect and process behavioural customer data at scale.
Featured stack of the week
- Landbot: Landbot is an intuitive chatbot-building platform that allows users to create customizable chatbots for various applications without coding skills. Its features help businesses boost revenue, engage customers, and cut operational costs. The platform provides flexible deployment options, channel integration, and an empowering user experience.
Here are the data tools of Landbot:
Good reads and resources
- The Data Trust Matrix: "Are data teams delivering business value?" In this article, Patrik Liu Tran discusses the struggle of data teams to deliver business value despite huge investments in data teams and infrastructure. Patrik emphasizes the importance of data quality, which is a big blocker for company value and data trust. He suggests that it is time for data teams to reevaluate how they approach data quality and business value. Patrik shares his learnings from discussions with over 400 data teams and proposes using the Data Trust Matrix as a guide to deliver business value without bad data getting in the way. The article highlights the significance of data observability and how data teams can focus on critical data assets to achieve an outsized impact while saving costs on infrastructure and tooling. Patrik concludes that data teams must establish data trust by focusing on critical data assets and going deep on validating these assets with intelligent and granular data validation rules.
- Spotify ETL using Python and AWS: Nurul Khairina, a Python for Data Engineering Course student, shares her experience building an ETL pipeline using Python and AWS services to extract data from Spotify's "Discover Weekly" playlist. In her project, she outlines the steps she took, ranging from data extraction to data transformation, and finally, data querying using Amazon Athena. She also discusses the project's architecture, tools used, and potential areas for improvement. Nurul emphasizes the significance of undertaking such projects to gain practical experience with ETL pipelines and AWS services.
Upcoming data events, summits and webinars
- Join industry experts and data enthusiasts at the Databricks Data+AI Summit 2023, in San Francisco from June 26-28, 2023. This event is the perfect opportunity to learn about end-to-end data observability for the data lakehouse. Attendees will have the chance to discover the latest trends and best practices in data observability, as well as network with like-minded professionals and thought leaders in the industry.
Register now for the Databricks Data+AI Summit 2023.
- The Radar AI Edition is an event that promises to be a game-changer for anyone interested in data science and AI. Taking place on June 22 from 9 AM to 3 PM ET, this event will explore the impact of AI on various industries and how tools like ChatGPT and Generative AI are revolutionizing the field. Attendees can expect to learn from expert-led sessions and gain insights into how individuals and organizations can thrive in the age of AI. Don't miss out on this opportunity to stay ahead of the curve and explore the exciting world of AI and data science.
Register now to secure your spot!
- ActBlue is hiring Director of Engineering, Data
Location: United States
Stack: dbt, Redshift, Fivetran, Looker
- Qover is hiring Analytics Engineer/Data Engineer
Stack: DBT, Airbyte, Bigquery
- Coterie is hiring Analytics Engineer / Senior Analytics Engineer
Location: United States
Stack: dbt, Snowflake, Fivetran
🔥 Trending on Twitter
Just for fun 😀
Are you always hungry for more information and updates about the ever-evolving world of data?
But wait, there's more! We want to hear from you - rate us here and let us know how we're doing.
We welcome any suggestions, articles you would like us to showcase, or data engineering job listings that you may have. Don't hesitate to get in touch with us and we would be delighted to incorporate your input into our next edition.
About Moderndatastack.xyz - We're building a platform to bring together people in the data community to learn everything about building and operating a Modern Data Stack. It's pretty cool - do check it out :)