The caffeinated world of data engineering awaits you! Join us as we dive into the fascinating realm of transforming data, one cup of coffee at a time. From unravelling complex datasets to conquering programming glitches, data engineers are the unsung heroes who keep the digital gears turning smoothly. So grab your favourite mug, and dive into this new edition for a dose of caffeinated knowledge and captivating insights.
Featured tools of the week
- Savant Labs: It provides an analytics automation platform that enables analysts to access, prepare, blend, and analyze data with ease. The platform is designed as a low-code, no-code solution that automates the delivery of insights to various destination applications.
Savant Labs has raised a total of $11M in funding over 1 round. This was a Seed round raised on Mar 1, 2023.
- Metlo: Metlo provides an open-source API security tool that can be set up in less than 15 minutes. It helps to secure APIs by inventorying endpoints, detecting bad actors, and blocking malicious traffic in real time. Metlo passively listens to API traffic, tags every malicious request, and detects bad actors and API attacks based on patterns of malicious requests.
Metlo has raised a total of $125K in funding over 1 round. This was a Pre-Seed round raised on Aug 31, 2021.
Featured stack of the week
Zippi: Zippi provides affordable and accessible financial services to micro-entrepreneurs in Brazil who usually face challenges trying to receive credit from traditional banks because their businesses are informal and hard to track. The company takes a customer-centric approach and is committed to providing a seamless and user-friendly experience.
Here are the data tools of Zippi:
Good reads and resources
- Building a Modern Data Pipeline: A Deep Dive into Terraform, AWS Lambda and S3, Snowflake, DBT, Mage AI, and Dash: In the age of big data, having a robust data pipeline is crucial for businesses to make informed decisions. Stefen Taime, a data expert, has given this comprehensive guide on building a modern data pipeline. His step-by-step guide takes readers through the process of building a modern data pipeline that is both manageable and enjoyable. The article is divided into four stages, starting with the deployment of an Ingestion-raw-data S3 bucket and a Lambda function using Terraform. Stefen then explains how Mage AI is used for ingestion and orchestration, DBT models are run for data transformation, and finally, Dash is used for data visualization. With the right tools and a clear roadmap, Stefen believes that building a modern data pipeline becomes a manageable and even enjoyable process.
- Introduction To Analytics Engineering: "Unlocking the power of data requires more than just collecting it – it requires analytics engineering," says Olga Berezovsky and Madison Schott, two experts in the field of data analytics. In their article, they highlight the importance of analytics engineering in bridging the gap between data engineers and data analysts. Analytics engineers have both technical skills and an understanding of business functions, making them crucial in producing high-quality data. They create data models and use a data transformation tool called dbt to ensure that everyone in a company uses clean and accurate data while minimizing mistakes and quality issues. By standardizing data close to the source, analytics engineers help businesses make better decisions based on reliable data.
Upcoming data events, summits and webinars
- An upcoming event titled "Data Mesh: Game Changer or Just Hot Air? BARC Survey Findings and Open Discussion" is set to take place on July 6th, 2023, at 2 pm CEST | 1 pm BST.
This event is a great opportunity for those interested in data mesh and its potential impact to join the discussion and gain insights from industry experts.
Register for the event here.
- Data Leaders looking to stay ahead in today's rapidly evolving business landscape won't want to miss the upcoming event by Datatonic titled "Modern BI with Looker." Taking place on July 4th, 2023, at 1:00 pm GMT, at Google's Offices in London, the event will feature data experts from Lyst, Babylon Health, Google Cloud, DoiT, and Datatonic who will share their Looker experience.
Register for the event here.
- Netflix is hiring Data Engineer (L4) - Games
Location: Remote, California
Stack: Python, SQL, AWS Cloud
- Wex is hiring Data Engineering Manager
Location: Remote, US
Stack: Airflow, Python, dbt, Snowflake
- Allstate is hiring Modern Data Warehouse Architect
Location: Remote, US
Stack: AWS Redshift, Snowflake
ThoughtSpot Acquires Mode Analytics for $200M to Empower Data Teams to Redefine Business Intelligence with Trusted Generative AI: ThoughtSpot is an analytics platform that allows customers to use natural language search and AI to identify data insights and take advantage of the cloud data ecosystem's most cutting-edge advancements.
Founders of Thoughtspot: Ajeet Singh and Amit Prakash
🔥 Trending on Twitter
Just for fun 😀
Are you always hungry for more information and updates about the ever-evolving world of data?
But wait, there's more! We want to hear from you - rate us here and let us know how we're doing.
We welcome any suggestions, articles you would like us to showcase, or data engineering job listings that you may have. Don't hesitate to get in touch with us and we would be delighted to incorporate your input into our next edition.
About Moderndatastack.xyz - We're building a platform to bring together people in the data community to learn everything about building and operating a Modern Data Stack. It's pretty cool - do check it out :)