🤔 Are you aware that data engineers are often referred to as data warehousing librarians? Forget the Guardians of the Galaxy, we have a fresh squad of heroes in the house! These librarians of the data warehouse are accountable for metadata organization and process definition, positioning them as the ultimate guardians of the data universe.
Speaking of data universe, let's shoot ourselves in that space and read below to know the latest trends, tools and resources in the MDS community this week!👇
Featured tools of the week
- Canner: Canner offers a data mesh solution that enables enterprises to enhance their connectivity to data silos, ensuring data security and privacy when collaborating datasets between business units within a company. Their infrastructure improves data efficiency and reduces costs by eliminating data copying and reducing duplicate datasets. With their data engineering performance triangle, businesses can create data products and achieve self-service analytics, while their data analytics productivity triangle provides up-to-date reports that are agile and accurate.
Canner has raised 4 rounds. Their latest funding was raised on Mar 8, 2022, from a pre-series A round led by Taiwania Capital, with Hive Ventures and SparkLabs Taipei participating.
- Kensu: Kensu is a data observability company that offers a 360° enterprise solution to monitor data in real-time, cut resolution time in half, and restore trust in data. Kensu's agent-based deployment approach allows for faster troubleshooting and smarter identification of the root cause and impacted systems, leading to less wasted time and increased efficiency. Overall, Kensu helps companies scale their data usage, facilitates collaboration between teams, and reinforces confidence in data-driven decisions.
Featured stack of the week
- Workiz: Workiz is a field service management software company that aims to bridge the gap between online sales and offline service. The company provides an all-in-one platform that streamlines scheduling, estimating, invoicing, payment processing, and communication for growing field service teams. Workiz's web-based platform is customizable for any industry and allows users to manage their pros, leads, jobs, workflows, and payments from their desktop or mobile device.
Here are the data tools of Workiz:
Good reads and resources
- The new role of the Data Quality Engineer: "Data quality is critical to successful data-driven decision making, and organizations are beginning to recognize the need for dedicated professionals to ensure that data is of high quality," according to Amit Sharma. He explains the importance of data quality in the field of data engineering and the emergence of a new role, the Data Quality Engineer (DQE). The DQE is responsible for implementing data quality processes, monitoring data quality metrics, and identifying and resolving data quality issues. Amit highlights the challenges organizations face in maintaining data quality and the skills and qualifications required for a DQE, including knowledge of data modeling, data warehousing, and data integration.
- Data Leaders Feel the Pressure to Prioritize Generative AI over Higher Returning Investments, Survey Says: "Data quality is a top priority for organizations," according to the 2023 State of Data Management Survey conducted by Monte Carlo Data. The survey provides insights into the current state of data management practices and trends. The survey found that while data quality is critical, only 25% of respondents have a data quality program in place. Data privacy and security are also becoming increasingly important, with 70% of respondents indicating concern about data breaches. The survey further revealed that organizations are struggling with data silos and lack of collaboration between teams. The article written by Peter Milligan and Molly Vorwerck provides a detailed analysis of the survey results, shedding light on the current state of data management practices.
Upcoming data events, summits and webinars
- Join Snowplow's meetup on Wednesday, July 26, 2023, from 5:30 PM to 8:30 PM AEST at Amazon Web Services on 2 Market Street, Sydney, to learn valuable lessons from 8+ years of Snowplow at the ABC and unlocking first-party data. Discover how the ABC has utilized Snowplow to build and improve their recommendation systems, while Mike from Snowplow explains how to extract value from first-party data in a post-GA world. The event is generously hosted by Amazon Web Services, and drinks and pizza will be provided, so don't miss out on this exciting opportunity! Register here.
- Join Rittman Mead on Thursday, July 13 in United Kingdom to learn about modernizing your Oracle data and analytics platform. This 4-hour event will cover Oracle's latest technology, migration options for existing on-premises systems, and how to innovate using Oracle's unique infrastructure and platform services. Don't miss this opportunity to gain valuable insights and learn from the experts. Register now to secure your spot with a mobile eTicket and demystify the benefits of modernizing your data and analytics platform.
- Ramp is hiring Senior Product Manager | Risk Intelligence
Location: New York
Stack: Fivetran, dbt, Snowflake, Looker
- Swan is hiring Data Analytics Engineer
Stack: Airbyte, Airflow, dbt
- Help Scout is hiring Data Team Manager
Location: US (Remote)
Stack: dbt, Looker, BigQuery, Hex
🔥 Trending on Twitter
Just for fun 😀
Are you always hungry for more information and updates about the ever-evolving world of data?
But wait, there's more! We want to hear from you - rate us here and let us know how we're doing.
We welcome any suggestions, articles you would like us to showcase, or data engineering job listings that you may have. Don't hesitate to get in touch with us and we would be delighted to incorporate your input into our next edition.
About Moderndatastack.xyz - We're building a platform to bring together people in the data community to learn everything about building and operating a Modern Data Stack. It's pretty cool - do check it out :)