🚨 It's that time again – our newest edition is fresh off the press and we have some exciting reading resources, incredible tools handpicked from our collection along with a spotlight of this edition: the Disney Data and Analytics Conference. Find out how Disney leverages its wealth of data to create the magical experiences you know and love and get inspired to take your data skills to the next level! Without further ado, keep scrolling!
Featured tools of the week
- Zeenea: Zeenea is a cloud-based SaaS provider offering a data cataloging and metadata management platform. Their solution features data governance, discovery, cloud transformation, and regulatory compliance. Zeenea's aim is to empower businesses by simplifying data access and accelerating data-driven initiatives across an enterprise while creating a reliable data asset landscape at an enterprise level.
- Supabase: Supabase is an open-source Firebase alternative that helps build scalable web and mobile apps with a Postgres database, authentication, instant APIs, real-time subscriptions, Edge Functions, Storage, and Vector embeddings. Users can quickly create backends in under two minutes without writing any code for API endpoints. Supabase also offers subscription capabilities for real-time updates.
Featured stack of the week
- Fragment Studio: It is a digital boutique studio that specializes in providing personalized experiences to its clients. With the objective of creating meaningful customer experiences, it employs an evidence-based approach to CX design. Additionally, the company takes a technology-agnostic approach to engineering, enabling it to design a composable architecture with reusable components. This reduces maintenance costs and improves overall efficiency while making the system more resilient.
Here are the data tools of Fragment Studio:
Good reads and resources
- Optimizing Data Modeling for the Data-First Stack: Want to make more informed business decisions? It all starts with a good data model. Animesh Kumar provides an overview of the importance of data modeling in an enterprise context. He argues that a good data model enables an organization to effectively manage and utilize its data, improving decision-making and overall performance. He covers key considerations and best practices for data modeling, including the importance of collaboration and communication among stakeholders, understanding and defining business requirements, and selecting appropriate tools and techniques for modeling. Additionally, Animesh emphasizes the need for ongoing maintenance and refinement of data models to ensure they remain relevant and effective over time.
- Data Governance for Modern Organizations, Part 1: Data is the new oil - defines the central theme of this article which explores the concept of data governance in the modern business landscape. Shinji Kim emphasizes the importance of a comprehensive data governance strategy that ensures the proper utilization and protection of data assets against regulatory requirements and cybersecurity threats. She analyzes the key components of an effective data governance plan, which range from defining data ownership and responsibilities to maintaining data quality standards and implementing stringent data security measures. Shinji highlights that successful data governance programs require constant engagement among stakeholders across the organization.
Upcoming data events, summits and webinars
- Disney Data and Analytics Conference is an annual event by Disney that brings together over 2,000 executives, managers, and analysts from 250+ organizations and universities across industries. The conference provides insights on data and analytics applied to everyday business processes, featuring breakout sessions, networking opportunities, and topics like revenue management, forecasting, and decision science. The next conference is from August 14-16 in Orlando, Florida and it's open to business analysts, data scientists, executives, and those who want to expand their analytics skills. Register here.
- A virtual live panel on federated data products for data migrations is scheduled for August 15, 2023, at 1 p.m. ET. Representatives from Starburst, Gilead Sciences, and Accenture will share insights on maintaining data flow during all migration stages. Traditional approaches to migration cause disruptions and require vast data duplication, increasing costs and security risks. The panel will discuss how adopting an analytics platform like Starburst can reduce costs and increase data control without sacrificing high-performance analytics, meeting data sovereignty requirements. Register here.
- NRDC is hiring Analytics Engineer
Stack: Snowflake, Fivetran, dbt, Tableau
- PYOR is hiring Data Engineer
Location: Bengaluru, india
Stack: SQL, dbt, Airflow, AWS
- Not On The High Street is hiring Senior Analytics Engineer
Location: United Kingdom
Stack: dbt, Snowflake, Airflow, looker
🔥 Trending on Twitter
Just for fun 😀
Are you always hungry for more information and updates about the ever-evolving world of data?
But wait, there's more! We want to hear from you - rate us here and let us know how we're doing.
We welcome any suggestions, articles you would like us to showcase, or data engineering job listings that you may have. Don't hesitate to get in touch with us and we would be delighted to incorporate your input into our next edition.
About Moderndatastack.xyz - We're building a platform to bring together people in the data community to learn everything about building and operating a Modern Data Stack. It's pretty cool - do check it out :)