It's that time of the year again!!!
The year is coming to an end, and as is customary, we all start reflecting on the year that was, and get ready for new milestones & upcoming adventures for the brand new year.
2021 was a great year for the Modern Data Stack space.
- We came across 115+ early-stage data stack companies that emerged in 2021.
- Since we started, we saw over 30 data stack startups get funding, rounds ranging from Seed to Series-D. Imagine the number for the entire year!
- Adoption of new concepts like data mesh, data lakehouse, observability and PLG CRM was on the rise.
For us, it was a great year too! We started in August and since then growth has been amazing. We had a great Product Hunt launch that made us confident about the community we are trying to build. Moderndatastack.xyz was the "3rd product of the day" on the launch day and ended up in the "top 4" for the entire week. All thanks to you. It wouldn't have been possible without your love and support 🧡🙌
We hope you had a great year, and the next one will be greater!
Happy New Year ✨🎄🎉 from the Modern Data Stack team.
Featured tools this week
Here are this week's featured companies from the Modern Data Stack.
- Continual's platform is the easiest way to get continually improving predictions – from customer churn to inventory forecasts – directly on your cloud data warehouse.
- Hightouch is a Reverse ETL platform that helps you sync your customer data from your data warehouse to your CRM, marketing, and into tools your business teams rely on.
Good reads and resources
Keep pace with the latest developments in the modern data stack. Always be learning!
- How to think about the ROI of data work: Ever happened, you being asked about the ROI of your work or a hire request for your data team and you not being able to give an answer?? Or you just gave a vague answer to get what you asked for?? In this article, Mikkel Dengsøe shares his way of conveying the ROI of data work in a way that's quantitative and makes you sound smarter than your boss.
- Evolving LinkedIn’s analytics tech stack: LinkedIn is the biggest professional platform for professionals to hangout and recently they transitioned their analytics tech stack. Co-authored by Steven Chuang, Qinyu Yue, Aravind Rao, and Srihari Duddukuru this article shares the details & lessons from a large-scale data platform migration.
- Building Data Quality into the Enterprise Data Lake: This article describes how an Enterprise Data Lake team (EDL) at PayPal built the Rule Execution Framework (REF) to address an enterprise-level opportunity: creating a centralized, enterprise-level generic rule configuration system for defining, managing, controlling, and deploying the data quality framework’s rules and rulesets.
- Six Under-Appreciated Principles of Data Warehousing, Through the Eyes of a Data Scientist: In this article, Kyle Schmitt discusses how he feel certain principles of "Data Warehousing" that he learned & implemented while working in a data science role across three different organizations most of the time go under-appreciated. He compiled an assorted set of “principles” that can helps other data scientists, data engineers, software engineers, designers, and product owners hone their own mental models.
- Helping Navigate the Complex Data Ecosystem: On this episode of Hashmap on Tap, host Kelly Kohlleffel is joined by Rohit Choudhary to discuss how to navigate the complex data ecosystem.
Upcoming data stack events & webinars
Upcoming conferences, summits, and webinars for you. Start networking!
- Global Big Data Conference is organizing 'GLOBAL DEVELOPER VIRTUAL BOOTCAMP' from Jan 03rd to Mar 31st, 2022 at Santa Clara, CA, USA.
In these 3 months, Global Big Data Conference is offering 15 half-day/full-day workshops on a variety of highly relevant topics taught by world-class speakers for you to attend. Click here to register.
- Farfetch is hiring a 'Senior Data Engineer'
Tags: ETLs, CI/CD, Flink, Databricks
- Gusto is hiring a 'Senior Data Scientist, Product Analytics'
Location: US, Remote
Tags: SQL, Python, R
- Techstar is hiring a 'Senior Valuations and Data Analyst'
Tags: Data Science, Statistics
- Discord is hiring a 'Senior Data Scientist, Analytics'
Location: San Francisco or Remote
Tags: Tableau, Looker, SQL
- Reddit is hiring a 'Senior Data Scientist, Safety Insights'
Location: US, Remote
Tags: SQL, Python, R
Just for fun
If you enjoyed this newsletter, please forward it to your friends who dig the 'Modern Data Stack' movement! (or you can just send them this link).
Have suggestions? Contact us here!