Hey there fellow MDS enthusiasts! Only 23 days left for the Modern Data Summit (but who's counting🙈).
We've got some exciting news for you. We're giving away FREE TICKETS to all our beloved newsletter subscribers! If you're in London on 2nd March, come by and join us to meet the bright minds working on the toughest problems in the Modern Data Stack!
Use the following code to grab your free spot: MDSNwLSUB23. Here’s how-
- Click on the following link- https://www.eventbrite.com/e/the-modern-data-summit-23-tickets-483761542797
- Head over to the ‘Get ticket’ section.
- Paste the above-mentioned unique code in the ‘Enter promo code’ section and grab your ticket for free!
Featured tools of the week
- Privecera: Privacera provides a data access governance platform to enable secure data sharing across hybrid environments and cloud services. It is based on Apache Ranger for comprehensive data security across on-premise datalakes. Privacera removes the dependence on multiple processes to provide fast, easy, and secure data sharing that empowers teams to make data widely available in the organization while fully complying with regulations.
Privacera has raised a total of $67.3M in funding over 3 rounds. Their latest funding was raised on Mar 9, 2021, from a Series B round.
- Trackingplan: Trackingplan is a fully automated observability and analytics quality assurance solution built for data, analytics, and marketing teams. Trackingplan ensures your tracking and attributions never break and lets you create alerts on everything that matters to you and your company.
Featured Stack of the week
- Angellist Talent: AngelList Talent is a startup community. They help startups change the world. They are building the definitive platform for startups — where they can raise money, build their team, and launch their products.
Here are the data tools of Angellist Talent:
Good reads and resources
- FinOps: Four Ways to Reduce Your BigQuery Storage Cost: This article is written by Xiaoxu Gao, who explains the concept of FinOps, an operational framework aimed at maximizing business value through cloud transformation by bringing together technology, finance, and business.
Xiaoxu talks about ways to reduce BigQuery storage costs. BigQuery offers two pricing models, Logical and Physical, and the cost depends on how the data is modified. She suggests switching to the Physical model if the table has no time-travel bytes and a high compression rate, but if the table only has active bytes, then it's better to keep it Logical. The article also provides some rules to help decide which pricing model is more cost-effective.
- Writing data product pipelines with Airflow: This article is written by Ronald Ángel who talks about how the company Miro aims to deliver reliable data products for efficient decision-making. They created a framework called product-ready pipelines which measures the value of data products based on six principles: accountability, impact, single purpose, clear expectations, observability, and testing. An example pipeline is shown and the issues with previous pipelines (DAGs) are explained. The framework connects the orchestrator with the data platform components and is governed by defined standards with SLAs. The article also mentions the use of a custom DAG decorator and additional components added to Airflow to make it easier for engineers to build these data product pipelines.
Data startup funding news
- Onehouse raises $25 million Series A funding: Onehouse is a cloud-native, managed foundation for your lakehouse that automatically ingests, manages, and optimizes your data for faster processing. It announced $25M Series A funding led by Addition and Greylock partners. Onehouse looks to deliver ease of use and automation on top of cutting-edge lakehouse technology, to provide much-needed cost-effectiveness and performance benefits to users.
Upcoming data events, webinars, and summits
- Join the physical event "Modern Data Summit '23" on 2nd March at Huckletree Shoreditch, London UK on 2nd March from 4 pm to 9 pm GMT hosted by moderndatastack. xyz in partnership with Cocoa. Join us for learning, networking, and discovery as we explore the future of data together.
Register for the event here
- Join the virtual webinar "Democratizing Data Discovery" on 15th February at 11 am ET hosted by Castor. In this live-online fireside chat, join Carson Wilshire and Tristan Mayer as they share key insights on the journey to data democratization.
Register for the event here
- Mantra Health is hiring Senior Data Analyst
Stack: Snowflake + Fivetran (via Mozart Data), Looker
- Seismic is hiring Senior Analytics Engineer
Stack: Snowflake, dbt, Tableau
- Zensurance is hiring Senior Analytics Engineer
Stack: dbt, Snowflake, Fivetran, Looker
🔥 Trending on Twitter
Just for fun 😀
What do you think about our weekly Newsletter?
If you have any suggestions, want us to feature an article, or list a data engineering job, hit us up! We would love to include it in our next edition😎
About Moderndatastack.xyz - We're building a platform to bring together people in the data community to learn everything about building and operating a Modern Data Stack. It's pretty cool - do check it out :)